There is a common saying in the Chamber of Commerce industry that says, “If you’ve seen ONE chamber, you’ve seen ONE chamber.” Every chamber in each individual community is different and unique, as each community is likewise different and unique. With that said, we have a very active Chamber here in Vista and we wanted to take a moment to share with you the impact that the Vista Chamber of Commerce is having in our local community. The following is a highlight of the impact we have had in the past six months.
- In May the Chamber hosted the 7th Annual Vista Strawberry Festival. We estimated that over 100,000 people came to downtown Vista for that event. We had 2,600 runners in the Strawberry Run that kicked off the event. Both of those numbers are all-time highs for Vista’s signature community event. This has become a great way to showcase downtown Vista, Vista businesses and more.
- Two years ago the Chamber launched the Rising Star of the Month program to honor local area high school seniors. Each month, one senior from each area high school is honored at a breakfast event. Then in the spring, those students who have been honored are able to apply to become Rising Stars of the Year. In 2015 (our first year of the program), we gave out $8,000 in scholarships, and this year we were able to give away ten $1,000 scholarships ($10,000 total) to these deserving students.
- In August the Chamber held its annual golf tournament. Each year we partner with a local area charity as part of the event. This year we raised $2,900 for Vista Teen Outreach, a great organization that helps local underprivileged teens with food and necessities.
- In September the Chamber partnered with the City of Vista to visit 200 businesses in the Vista Business Park as part of the Vista Cares Business Walk. One of the keys to economic development is working with your existing businesses and employers to see what issues they are facing. If we can assist them in those issues, and keep those businesses local, that is a great asset to our local economy. The current vacancy rate in our business park is at a historic low level, which is good news for our local economy.
- In September the Chamber hosted a candidate forum for the seven candidates vying for the two open City Council Member seats. Nearly 150 attended the forum, the highest attendance ever for a city council forum.
This quick list gives you a glimpse into the broad impact your local chamber has in our great community. If you would like to partner with us and helps us grow that impact, contact us today.
Chairman of the Board
Vista Entertainment Center